When it comes to viewing films, turning on a sports match, or playing computer games, nothing compares to a large, high-resolution television set. Fortunately, you do not need to spend a fortune on an LED TV set to enjoy a big, bright picture. In fact, you can make one yourself for under $100. Projection technology has improved greatly in recent decades, so much so that today many are capable of producing images comparable to those found on high-end flat-panel TVs. And best of all they are affordable enough to fit into any household budget.
We’ve compiled a short guide to help you choose the right projector for your needs. Our picks are the top projectors available for less than $100. They’re chosen because they offer good performance at an affordable price. Here’s how to choose the Best Projector Under 100.
|Best Value: PONER SAUND GP16 Editor's Rating: 9.9 Brand: PONER SAUND Check Price
|Impressive Lamp Life: DRJ Upgrade Mini Projector Editor's Rating: 9.6 Brand: DRJ Check Price
|Best Mini Projector: PVO Portable Mini Projector Editor's Rating: 9.4 Brand: PVO Check Price
|Best Projector for Portability: QKK LCD Projector Editor's Rating: 9.1 Brand: Projector Check Price
|Best Projector for Ease of Use: CiBest Mini Projector Editor's Rating: 8.9 Brand: CiBest Check Price
|Best Projector for Durability: AuKing Mini Projector Editor's Rating: 8.6 Brand: Auking Check Price
- Best Projector Under 100 – Advice from Seasoned Experts
- How to choose a projector
Best Projector Under 100 – Advice from Seasoned Experts
It’s one of the most affordable projectors available at just under $100. When used properly, it provides a high-quality image with a wireless feature.
The mini projectors have a high luminous flux of 5000 lumens and a strong contrast ratio of 5500:1. This makes them suitable for use in daylight. Depending on the projection distances, there is a projection screen diagonal between 40 and 210 inches possible. According to the supplier, the integrated LED lighting system provides 80% more brightness compared to conventional lamp systems.
The mini projector delivers an excellent picture, thanks to the HD-LCD technology. The sharpness of the projected images is impressive, especially with bright colors. The mini projector also comes with built-in speakers so you do not need additional equipment to enjoy your movie experience. With focus and keystone correction functions, the projection system is easy to operate.
It's compatible with both Android and iPhone systems. It can be utilized to mirror movies, apps, and video clips onto big screens available. The projector comes included with a 1-year warranty.
Some product details
- 【BIG SCREEN SIZE EXPERIENCE】LED projector provides a watching size from 40” to 210” with the projection distance between 5ft to 15ft. A projection distance 6.5ft is the recommended viewing distance.
- 【MULTIPLE DEVICES CONNECTION & LIFETIME CUSTOMER SERVICE】The smart projector is equipped with multiple interfaces such as HDMI, USB, AV, VGA and headphone, to meet your multiple needs with headsets, laptop, DVD/VCD players, loudspeaker, USB disk, computer, PS3, PS4 etc. NOTE: THE WIRELESS PROJECTOR PROVIDE LIFETIME CUSTOMER SERVICE.
- 【PORTABLE DESIGN & BUILT-IN SPEAKER】Portable projector comes with a portable size (7.87*5.90*2.95 inch) and a weight of only 2.5lb, unique design makes it easier to take to anywhere. Built-in a powerful speaker can deliver a clear sound which will meet your daily needs, such as play movie, photo and games.
- High brightness values
- Can be used during daytime
- Optimize images for brightness and color
- Reduced fan noise
- Includes HDMI cable
- Nothing to complain about
Although the DR. J Projection does not utilize the newer TFT LCD screen technology often seen in other projectors on this listing, it makes up for that in the overall performance and picture clarity. The high-performance projection lenses produce a crisp, clear, and bright picture, which when coupled with the solid brightness ratings and high contrast ratios make for an impressive viewing experience in both brightly lit and dimly lit environments. One minor drawback to this unit though is the focus control. Some owners reported finding the focus set to be somewhat difficult to adjust in order to achieve the perfect picture.
One of the best features of this particular projectorator is its ability to use diffusive reflection technology – a special lens design that helps reduce eyestrain by reducing how many light bounces directly into your eyes.
Additionally, the fan design is well suited to projectors of this size and brightness, and the unit includes two fans, one of which is quite quiet so as not to interfere with the audio performance. Furthermore, the lamp life is impressive at 40,000 hours, since most users will rarely need to replace the lamp.
While the projector has a 3-year warranty, be wary that there have been complaints from several people who received the projector that it actually produces significantly less light than the manufacturer claimed. Also, in some instances, the projector fails to produce an image when used in dark environments. This appears to be due to a manufacturing defect, which is included within the warranty period but may create a headache for purchasers who want to use the projector immediately.
Some product details
- HIGHEST 1080P RESOLUTIONS SUPPORTED: Supported resolution:1920 x 1080, Aspect Ratio: 4:3/16:9, Contrast Ratio: 2000:1, Lamp lifetime: 40000 hours, Watching Size: 32 inch -176 inch with projector distance 1.5m-5m. [Note: not recommended for PPT, word, excel or business presentation.]
- PORTABLE 1080P Supported OUTDOOR PROJECTOR: To meet our customer's new needs, we have improved not only the brightness, contrast ratio of the projector. Enjoy the great movies outside with your family in your yard.
- MULTI-Connection PORTABLE PROJECTOR: Our outdoor movie projector is compatible with TV Box, ChromeBook, PCs, Laptops, Tablets, Blue-ray DVD player, SD Card, USB Flash Drive, Video Games, Players (Music, Pictures, Video, TXT), Smartphones ( Wireless HDMI Dongle not included).
- Crisp, vibrant, bright image
- Diffusive reflection technology
- A good cooling fan and long lamp life
- It's difficult to adjust focus using manual controls.
- Warranty claims for manufacturing defects.
The PVO Portable mini projector is an ideal present for kids. It’s easy to set up and operate, and can project onto any flat surface. Kids can play games, watch videos, and show off slideshows without having to worry about cords getting tangled or tripping hazards. The projector also comes equipped with a remote control so parents can easily adjust settings.
The PVO Portable Projection Screen is an easy-to-use portable projection screen designed specifically for your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV, Macbook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, PC, Chromebook, Windows laptop, and any other device that has a HDMI port. It features a 2.4-inch display with a resolution of 1280x720 pixels. It comes with a stand so you can prop it up on a table or shelf. It also has a carrying case.
The PVO Portable Projection Kit is the perfect portable projection kit for any home theater enthusiast who wants to enjoy movies and shows without having to worry about cords. With the PVO Portable Projection Kits power cord, you can easily connect your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or other devices directly to the HDMI input and watch your favorite movies and TV shows on a large screen. The PVO Portable Projector Kit comes equipped with everything you will ever require to make your own portable movie theater. From the included remote control to the HDMI cable, the PVO Portable Projector Kits are designed to provide optimal performance and convenience.
Some product details
- Upgrade Performance: PVO YG300Pro upgraded in 2022, support 1080P full HD and the natural resolution have increased to 800*480. Improve the brightness and color saturation of the projected picture to make the picture clearer and more comfortable (dark room is better).
- Small and Portable: Mini video projector is small and portable, and can be carried in a pocket or bag. Even children can hold it easily. You can enjoy movies, videos and games no matter at home or in the outdoor courtyard, travel, camping and other location.
- Gift for Children: Mini projector is a must-have product for children to watch cartoons and videos, which is very popular with children. When viewed from a distance with a projector, it can project a maximum of 170 inches (Recommended 60-100 inches). Keeping children away from mobile phones and iPads can protect children's eyes.
- It is portable
- Produces high-quality streaming options
- There are multiple types of adaptation ports
- No internal battery option
- Can't stream from Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
- No carry bag included
- No stand included
Do you need a portable projection system that can be taken anywhere? For the likes of office workers, this meets all the requirements. The projection unit is quite compact and lightweight, so it won’t take up much space. In addition, it is very easy to transport around. Despite its size and portability, it still offers plenty of features.
It has an impressive brightness of up to 3840 lumens, so it's not going to lack energy. That's proven by its ability to project images at distances of up to five meters, meaning that you can use it to create large screens.
You get a three-year limited manufacturer’s guarantee for the projector which should be enough time to replace any defective parts. Audio isn't the best but that is a common problem with projectors and there are many ways to connect the projector to external speakers.
Some product details
- 【With Bluetooth 5.1 Chip, HIFI Sound Enjoyment】Built-in powerful speakers, this portable projector provides HIFI sound effect while watching movie in a Max 176 inches screen. The extra BLUETOOTH function is also supported to connect with your speaker or headphone wirelessly. Relax yourself in a private space, enlarge your happiness with our Bluetooth projector, just enjoy it! (Note: Bluetooth NOT support to connect with smartphones)
- 【Native 720P FULL HD Resolution】Our technical department optimized construe and adopted advanced LED Mirror to upgrade this projector. Now, this mini projector has been improved to 40% higher brightness of 7500Lumens. Better than most projectors on the market. 720P native LCD projector supports Max 1920*1080 resolution & 5000:1 contrast ratio which is great for home theater entertainments.
- 【Multi-Connection Accessibility Video Projector】 You can use our projector HDMI port to connect your Laptop, Blue-Ray DVD player, TV Stick, ROKU, PS4, WII, Smartphones (adapter not included); you can also use the AV port to connect your TV to our projector; the USB port can allow you to connect your USB flash driver/SD/TF card to enjoy your videos or pictures; the VGA port can connect to your computer VGA port easily. (This Bluetooth Updated Version do not contain Projector screen.)
- Compact design
- Produces excellent pictures
- Wide compatibility
- Poor audio
Here we have yet another small but powerful projection screen. Despite its smaller dimensions, the specs are on par with the bigger ones. It’s ideal for those who want a balanced combination of portability and power output.
One of those specs that really blow you away is the maximum projector size. It can display images up to 200 inches and that’ll be enough for most people. The throw distance range is also quite large so you’ll get plenty of room to position it anywhere you want.
Overall, the construction of the projectors is very impressive and that makes them lack something that their competitors don’t have — they offer a two-year warranty along with a 30-day money-back policy. They’re very simple to operate and you’ll have them set up and running in no longer than an hour.
Some product details
- 【 SUPERIOR MOVIE EXPERIENCE】2022 Upgraded CiBest home video projector is 80% brighter than other mini projectors at the same price. Support 1080P Full HD, 6000:1 contrast ratio, provides an incredibly lifelike image for videos and movies, you may enjoy the happy time with your family or friends at home or outdoor. Meanwhile, the diffuse reflection technology can make the projection image softer and protect your eyes.
- 【 PORTABLE DESIGN 】 CiBest mini projector is small in size (7.87 x 5. 5 x 2.7 inch/ 2.25 lb) and convenient for you to take it anywhere. The projector is equipped with the latest cooling system which cuts the fan noise by half, provides a quieter environment for your movie time. ±15° manual keystone correction to meet your different demands.
- 【 CONNECT to MULTIPLE DEVICES 】 Works with TV stick, PC, laptops, tablets, Blue-ray DVD player, TF card, USB flash drive, PS4/XBOX/WII, media players (music, pictures, video, TXT), headphone. You can also connect it to your iPad, iPhone, Android smartphones (Need to buy an extra HDMI adapter, can't connect phone with USB cable). Not recommend for PPT business presentations.
- High portability
- Excellent value
- Bright image
- Easy to use
- Average sound quality
If you're looking for a portable projection system that won't break the bank, this one is perfect for you. It's also ideal if you don't need a lot of mobility.
With its low price point, large screen size, and long throw range, this projector is an excellent choice for any room.
One of the best features of this projector is its ability to project from a distance. Its remote allows for easier setup and adjustments. It has excellent picture quality and comes with a two-year warranty.
Some product details
- ★【Superior Home Theater Projector 】2022 Upgraded mini projector equipped with 2000:1 contrast ratio, supported 1080p resolution, brings you a 35% brighter images than similar projectors in market. It provides you with a premium home cinema experience with the bigger screen and clearer image.
- ★【Big Screen & Built-in Speakers】The mini projector has a 32~170 inches projection display size with 1m to 5m projection distance. Built-in speakers offer excellent loud sound quality, you can also connect it to external speakers to meet your higher quality sound needs.
- ★【Multiple Devices Connection & Portable】This portable movie projector is fit for playing videos, TV series, photos sharing, football matches etc. It can be easily connected with laptops, smartphones, tablets, USB drives, X-Box ONE to enjoy big games. ★★★When connect with phone, please purchase an extra HDMI adapter. Please kindly note projectors with mirrored are incompatible with Netflix and Hulu due to copyright issues.★★★
- High durability
- Easy to carry
- Tripod thread
- Quick start up
- Not great in bright rooms
How to choose a projector
After sharing our top ten budget projectors, it’d be helpful to know what factors really matter when buying a projector. We’ll share some additional info about the main features that determine if a projector is worth purchasing or not.
Three main types of projectors exist today: Digital Projection, LCD, and Laser Projection. Each type offers a different set of advantages and disadvantages. The most common type of projector is the Digital Projection, which is capable of producing high-quality color pictures. These projectors are extremely popular because they are inexpensive. They are also very easy to operate and maintain. On the downside, these projectors are not able to produce bright enough pictures for large rooms. Another drawback is that they require a lot of power, which means they take up a lot of space. Finally, they do not last as long as laser projectors.
Another important technical spec that affects vid playback is brightness. Brightness effects, as you might guess, how bright the projected image is – which determines how easy it will be to see in a well-lighted room. A less bright projector, in the 1000-1200 lumen range, can produce images that are difficult to see clearly in lighted rooms. But some people find that brighter projectors, about 2000 lumen, actually require turning on some light to avoid eyestrain from the brightness of the image.
The screen resolution (also known as display resolution) is the number of horizontal dots per inch (dpi) and vertical dpi. A high-resolution monitor displays clearer graphics and images because each individual dot can be seen, whereas low-resolution monitors show fewer dots per inch, thus creating jagged lines and fuzzy edges. Most people use 72 dpi, although 120 dpi is becoming increasingly popular.
To get the best possible picture quality out of your home cinema system, you need to know the optimal projection position. A good rule of thumb is to place the center of the projected image approximately one-third of the way between the front edge of the TV set and the back edge of the wall behind it. In practice, however, if you’re watching movies on a large plasma television, then you’ll probably find that the ideal projection position is closer to the rear of the TV set.
Although portability can certainly be a secondary concern for some people, it is often a primary consideration in projection design. A number of miniature projectors, such as star projectors, are specifically designed to be small enough to fit into a pocket or backpack and weigh no more than two pounds. These portable projectors also typically run cooler than larger models because they do not require large fans to cool off internal components. However, these smaller projectors also typically lack sufficient brightness to fill a room with light. Consider both the portability and brightness requirements of your intended usage scenarios before purchasing a miniaturized projection device.
Here are some of the answers to the most common question people ask before buying a projector. This will give you an idea of what you need to know and prevent you from asking stupid things.
What size projectors are used for measuring screen sizes?
Projectors’ displays are usually described in terms of their diagonal screen sizes, which are specified in inches and can be found in the specs of every projector.
Projectors may be able to display screens of different sizes.
Contrast Ratio: What does it refer to?
Contrast is expressed as a number ratio between light and dark on the display. It’s calculated by comparing the whitest color on the display against the darkest color. For example, if the whitest color is 1000:1, then the darkest color is 1:1000.
What happens when a projector bulb burns out?
Projectors usually have a limited life span, and they typically fail after several tens of thousands of hours.
After all, if the lamp fails, you’ll need to buy a new one and replace it to keep projecting images.
Where to place a projector?
If you want to use a projector, the best place to put one is on a tripod, or at least attach it to something sturdy so that it doesn’t fall off. But if you’re using an older projector, just putting it on a flat surface may suffice.
How long does the lamp last?
Even if it’s an inexpensive model, it may not be able to provide the same level of performance as a more expensive one. However, usually, lamps for cheaper models can typically survive up to 50,000 hours before needing replacement.
What kind of lamp is used in a projector?
There are four different lamp types that can be found in a projector, and one of them, which can be found in the cheapest models is an LED lamp, which is also one of the longest-lasting projector lamp types and also the one that projects a brighter image.
There are several types of light bulbs used for laser projection systems: metal halides, lasers, and hybrid projects that use both LEDs and lasers.